Professor Henning Melber, Emeritus Director of the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation in Sweden addresses the Zoom-Summit West Papua’s return to the UN: fulfilling Dag Hammarskjöld’s legacy. He is joined by West Papuan leaders Edison Waromi from Jayapura and Herman Wainggai from New York; and by Ms Francine Ngoya and Mr Clovis Mwamba from the Congo, Litiana Kalsrap from Vanuatu, and Emeline Ilolahia from Fiji…….
This memorial for Dag Hammarskjöld and his 1961 Decolonisation Program for West Papua explores a complex global story, of two unique UN peace-keeping undertakings by the UN Secretary-General in 1961 in the midst of overwhelming tension between the US and the USSR. The first inserted a UN peace-keeping military force into the Congo to de-escalate conflict over the new state’s mineral resources. The second was designed to prevent Indonesia invading the Non-Self-Governing Territory of Dutch New Guinea, or West Papua as we know it today.
What was the outcome of these peace-keeping endeavours? First, the Secretary-General lost his life. Second, the new state of Congo nose-dived from democracy to chaos and then authoritarianism. Third, the Non-Self-Governing Territory of Dutch New Guinea (Melanesian West Papua) was passed to Indonesia, an Asian state on the verge of political and economic collapse.These three stories in concert have rarely if ever been told.
- MEDIA RELEASE, West Papua’s return to UN: fulfilling Hammarskjold’s legacy
- RECORDINGS OF SPEECHES
- i) Babuan Mirino (President, FRWP West Papua Womens Office, Docklands)
- ii) Edison Waromi (Chair, Legislative, United Liberation Movement for West Papua)
- iii) Herman Wainggai (ULMWP Special Mission to UN)
- iv) Introducing Henning Melber, Emeritus Director, Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation
- iv) Professor Henning Melber: ‘Dag Hammarskjöld, West Papua & The UN’
- v) Introducing Litiana Kalsrep, Tongoa Shepherd Women’s Association, Vanuatu
- v) Litiana Kalsrep: ‘Why Vanuatu is sponsoring West Papua at the UN’
- vi) Francine Ngoya: ‘Replanting Dag Hammarskjöld in the Congo’, Association of Women Teachers from Catholic Schools in Democratic Republic of Congo
- vii) Mr Clovis Mwamba: ‘Dag Hammarskjöld, Hero of peace in the Congo’
- EXCERPT FROM HAMMARSKJÖLD-PAPUA EXHIBITION (FRWP West Papua Women’s Office)
MEDIA RELEASE, West Papua’s return to UN: fulfilling Hammarskjold’s legacy
RECORDINGS OF SPEECHES
i) Babuan Mirino (President, FRWP West Papua Womens Office, Docklands)
ii) Edison Waromi (Chair, Legislative, United Liberation Movement for West Papua)
Pastor Edison Waromi is President of the Executive (West Papua National Authority); Elected leader (West Papua Congress 2011); and Chair of the Legislative (United Liberation Movement for West Papua). He asks the Australian government to rip up the Lombok Treaty with Indonesia, and to support West Papua’s independence struggle … “our land is in a state of emergency with the recent deployment of thousands of highly trained Indonesian troops”